Thursday, 7 April 2016

                             SPRING IS HERE...KIND OF             


Spring is finally here, well officially, even though you can not tell by looking out the window,  and I am eager to start working outside once again in the garden. If it were up to me I would be playing in the mud, but this rain and snow we keep having is making it way to wet or cold for even that! I for one am glad that I at least have my seeds starting indoors so that I can feel like I am gardening once again! At our last Community Garden event in March, we were happy to host Connie from William Dam Seeds. With all the wonderful advice she shared with us I was able to get started on planting indoors. Just because it is already April there is no need to throw in the towel thinking it is too late to get started with your indoor seeding.  With the tips Connie shared with us I am sure you too will be pleased with the how easy it is to get started. Let me share with you just some of her wonderful advice.

                279 Hwy 8 Flamborough, Ontario L9h 5E1  (905-628-6641)
                                                  www. Damseeds.com


Connie’s wonderful tips:

1.    Use quality, sterilized seedling mix and clean trays/equipment to prevent disease.
2.    Have a space with adequate light (4”/10cm above plants) and good air circulation.
3.    Soil contact: Some seeds are very small and some (not only small seeds) need light to started. These should be pressed into the soil so that there is good soil contact, but should not be covered with the soil.
4.    A cause of poor germination ca be lack of adequate moisture. Often, the seed swells with the first watering and then dries up and dies when the moisture level is not maintained. Seed pellets especially need consistent moisture to melt or split so that the seed can germinate.
5.    Fertilizing: After 4 weeks of growing, the plants may need a weak fertilizer. Regular liquid fertilizer can be used at ¼ the recommended ratio for mature plants. *Organic fertilizers only work with mixes that contain soil, unless they are foliar fertilizers.

This is just a sample of all the advise Connie shared with us at our workshop. But if I can give you some advise, take a drive to their shop and get inspired for yourself! You will feel like a kid in a candy store! The temptation to buy one of each pack of seeds is just overwhelming! This is only one row in the store! If you thought your local garden center had all the seeds you would want, think again! However, if you like to shop from the comfort of your couch ( you would miss the drive down some lovely country roads, but that is your choice) you can also order on line for delivery.
You may not see Connie there when you go, but all of their staff are friendly and helpful! Go ahead and ask any question you may have. 

Seed starting supplies



Now if you are anything like me you may also like to take a trip to your local library to see what books they may have to walk you through your seed starting journey. I found this little book by Barbara Ellis to be very helpful. 




Go ahead, give seed starting a try. Use a plastic cup, an old egg carton or ready to seed starting tray. I promise, once those little plants poke up out of the soil you will be hooked!
                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment